Michael began dancing during the Swing revival of the late 90's. From Lindy he soon started exploring Hustle, Argentine Tango, and ultimately Ballroom and Latin. From the start of his professional career Michael saw continued training as a teacher to be an absolute necessity, above and beyond training as an individual dancer. He studied, gaining certification with the United States Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing (USISTD), and completed training in Gyrotonic to round out his understanding of body mechanics and sound usage principles.
As a dual Fellow of the ISTD in both Ballroom and Latin American Michael Choi is one of the preeminent trainers of dance teachers in America. He also served on the National Committee of the USISTD from 2012-2015 and as President in 2015.
His competitive career has ranged from competing in Latin as an Amateur and young Professional to several successful partnerships in International Ballroom. American Smooth has enabled him to explore the breadth of his skills as a dancer and artist to a degree he wasn't able to as a Latin or Ballroom dancer, and he feels that he's found a home in this style. Michael is currently active as a professional Smooth competitor.
Assistant Choreographer/Partnering Consultant under Mia Michaels for the Radio City Rockettes Summer Spectacular
- Dancesport Series Top Teacher, 7th Place
- Ohio Star Ball, Semi-Finalist, Open Professional Smooth
- 1st Place, Atlanta Open Dancesport Championships, Open Professional Smooth
- 1st Place, Indianapolis Open Dancesport Championships, Open Professional Smooth
- Finalist, US National Classic Showdance - Orlando, FL
- Top Teacher, New York Dance Festival
- 1st Place, Florida State Dancesport Championships, Rising Star Standard
- 1st Place, Virginia State Dancesport Championships, Rising Star Standard
- USDSC Finalist, Rising Star Standard
- Take The Floor, Egypt Tour
- Life On Mars, ABC, Episode 6, Choreographer
- Hot For Manhattan, Iowa Western Community College
- Guest Artist at Dance Nakagawa’s 35th Anniversary Dance Festival,Imperial Hotel, Tokyo, Japan
- Assistant Choreographer, The Duke Ellington Shakespearean Suite, The Kennedy Center, Washington, DC
- Guest Artist at Dance Studio Ishi Winter Show, Tokyo, Japan
- Appearance on The Tony Danza Show
- Motion picture Mona Lisa Smile principal dancer
- 1st Place Professional Standard Imperial Star Ball Championships, NJ